fbpx

Fleetwood Upbeat After Friday Move at Carnoustie

Tommy Fleetwood has put himself in a strong position to win his first major title after an outstanding round of 65 on day two of the Open Championship.

The Englishman started his Open campaign with a +1 round of 72 on Friday but showed what he is capable off in the second round, taking advantage of the soft fairways and greens.

With drizzling rain falling on Friday morning, the greens were more receptive and, teeing off at 7:30am, Fleetwood was able to attack the course.

Fleetwood holds the course record at Carnoustie, shooting 63 in the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship last year, and clearly feels comfortable in the surroundings.

Speaking to the BBC, the 27-year-old said: “It was a really good round of golf. It was a struggle on Thursday, I didn’t really hit it, I hit rubbish most of yesterday.”

“We put in a good hour’s work last night and we played better. I knew it was a good session last night. I came off the range feeling better and clearer, and I thought if I could get it under par for the tournament that would be a great day.”

Fleetwood missed the cut in his first three appearances in the Open Championship but a T27 finish at Birkdale last year boosted his confidence.

The man from Southport has already secured the Abu Dhabi Championship this year and currently sits third in the Race to Dubai standings.

Many pundits feel he now has the game to challenge for majors and second place at the US Open last month seems to highlight that view.

However, Fleetwood is keeping his feet on the ground, adding: “We are only two days in, come Sunday I would like to be in the same spot. You put all the practice in for this and you have to go out and play golf, but it is easier said than done.”

If Fleetwood does finish top of the leaderboard on Sunday evening then he will become the first Englishman to lift the Claret Jug since Nick Faldo won at Muirfield in 1992.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *